Sunday, November 22, 2009

Moving in a Good Direction, After a Dietary Mis-step

So, this weekend was filled with food, fun, and debauchery as most of my weekends are.
After eating a heart-stopping 40 Points(R) worth of food at Applebee's, spending a 25 dollars that I totally couldn't afford to lose, I came to a realization:
I will never, ever lose weight eating this way.

I now finally understand that even if I eat crappy one day out of the week, I will probably stuff all of the week's worth of crappy food into that one day.
Damn.
Also, convenient foods are great for me, since I spend so long at school with little money in pocket, but all that sodium is keeping my water weight in tact.
Double damn.
Since I am paying 40 dollars a month for the Momentum Plan(R) through Weight Watchers, I am currently throwing that money away.
Triple damn.

My solution to all of this? A three pronged plan:
Work out at school and at home. Cook a lot more foods at home that can easily be eaten at school. And change the way I think about food.

My inspiration:
I found an old print-out from the internet I saved for myself from MSN Health, about being able to eat Healthy and Organic for $7 A Day(The article is still available online). Yes, Seven dollars for one day's worth of eating. Two dollars for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner; and One Dollar for snacks.
That's a bit of a challenge, but an amazing idea for a college student who wants to work on their health, their food consciousness, and their portion sizes. I fit all of those criteria: Hooray!

So, Step One:
I made soup yesterday! 2 Bean Soup to be exact. I made the recipe off the cuff, after staring at two cans of beans with a sad and rumbly belly.
I used onions, carrots, fat free re-fried beans, cooked black beans, and chicken stock to make 4 servings worth of a very hearty soup. Once I refine the recipe a bit, and make the soup again, I'll post the recipe. Right now, the 'recipe' looks like about 10 ingredients on a paper with numbers placed about, either for amounts or cooking times. It needs a few touches.

Step Two:
I scoped out a local Whole Foods today for inspiration, ideas, and a general idea of the new foods I'll be eating soon. Things like cooking my own short grain rice, millet, quinoa, and other grains I can use to replace white rice, pasta, and more expensive grains like them.

I'll also need to cut the cheese. Out of my diet, that is. Oh, and most meats too.

What? No! HELL NO. I'm not going vegan. I'm going smart.
Don't believe me? I'll make some turkey chili soon to prove my point. Maybe I'll even top it with Cheddar or a Mexi-cheese blend. AND keep it within my budget. Challenge? I think Yes!

That's all for now. Once I get a paycheck, and my wallet stops crying at me, I'll organize my shopping list and show you the bounty I'll be purchases, as well as a plan of attack.

Enjoy your turkey days, I'll keep you posted on my progress.

And remember kids:
Building vocabulary makes us seem cool. Or funny, like when we say "Quinoa" (Pronounced Keen-wah)

No comments:

Post a Comment