Friday, November 20, 2009

Welcome to the Haunted World of... My Kitchen

Aha! So you've found me. Did it take long to shuffle past all the Chinese food boxes, dirty laundry, and unwashed dishes? Don't worry, I'll wash them tomorrow. Or I'll make Art do it.

You'll soon find out a few things about me, and so this is an appropriate time for me to list them:

1. I have a beau, his name is Art. We cook a lot in his tiny apartment kitchen.

2. I live with my parents, and I get to cook in their big kitchen.
When possible, I'll go to friend's houses, and use their kitchen.
All of these things make me a very well versed cook, and pretty flexible when it comes to cooking.
I usually require a plate, a bowl, a knife, a wooden spoon, and a heat source (this does include microwaves) for me to cook just about anything, just about anywhere.

3. I am a Food Network junkie. I choose to watch it all the time, find it better than news, sports, and other entertaining programs (most of the time). I find inspiration in chefs such as Alton Brown, Bobby Flay, Tyler Florence, and occasionally Rachel Ray. I'm not a fanatic about any of them, nor do I own any of their fancy gadgets or cookery, but I enjoy all of their recipes.

4. I live on a shoe-string budget, or the typical yo-yo budget of a college kid. When I have money, all of my friends are happy because I love treating for them and cooking semi-fancy things. When I don't have money, I'm sad, and sometimes revert to what is known as the "Ugly Soup" method (see the Ugly Soup blog for more info). My pantry is my best friend at these times, and I can usually whip up something tasty and kind-of good looking.

5. I'm a Biology and Education major, hoping to be a Biology Teacher when I graduate. But that is not the end of the journey for me, oh no. I want to be a Chef. With the Culinary School and everything. So why aren't I in Culinary School now? Because I came to this realization last year, when I already owed Kean XX,000 dollars for my education. So I think I'll finish one career before hopping to another. In the meantime, I am working on whatever skills I can refine, taking a few nutrition classes, and when I have the money over the summer, I hope to take a few cooking classes at some local schools, just for kicks.

6. What do I like to cook? ...Everything. I am Italian, Irish, Lithuanian, and a touch of Polish (though that's disputed within the family), and I worked in a Chinese/Japanese restaurant for 5 years, am currently part-time employed at a big chain Bakery, and I can be found cooking at home at least once a week. I like to keep my horizons wide, and am always willing to take suggestions and post my pictures/results.

So, there we have it.
Oh, once more thing... I'm Norse Wiccan. So any recipes connected to any holidays on the Wheel of the Year will also be tried out and posted here.

I think you'll find these food adventures fun, different, and hopefully humorous.



So enjoy your Freaky Friday, and remember kids:
Be a winner, not a weiner.
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment